Philip Pargeter was born in Wolverhampton on 13 June 1933. He was educated at St Hilda’s Primary School, Northenden, Manchester and at St Bede’s College, Manchester. He studied for the priesthood at Grove Park (1951 to 1952) and at St Mary’s Seminary, Oscott (1952 to 1959). He was ordained priest on 21 February 1959.
Bishop Pargeter served at Cotton College from 1959 to 1985 as a member of staff, Housemaster (1975 to 1984), Rector (1982 to 1985) and as parish priest for the local community (1984 to 1985). In June 1985 he was appointed Administrator of St Chad’s Cathedral. He was made a Canon of the Cathedral Chapter in 1986.
A keen ecumenist, Bishop Pargeter became Chairman of the Birmingham Council of Churches in 1988. In this capacity he has worked to forge stronger ecumenical links in the Birmingham area. He was ordained as titular Bishop of Valentiniana and auxiliary Bishop of Birmingham by Archbishop Couve de Murville 21 February 1990.
On 31 July 2009, Pope Benedict XVI accepted Bishop Pargeter’s resignation as Auxiliary Bishop of Birmingham in accordance with canons 411 and 401§1.