‘How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of one who brings good news.’ (Isaiah 52:7)
Welcome! We hope you enjoy looking through this news page of diocesan events and formation opportunities.
Year of Faith Diocesan Days
Novenas delivered right to your inbox
A wonderful resource for developing your own spiritual prayer life.
We cannot give what we do not have. Thus, in order to be a catechist who helps others along the path to holiness, we must pay attention to our own spiritual development. To help us in this, there is a wonderful website which not only gives you all the infomraiton you need for praying novenas, but will highlight which novena is currently being prayed according to the liturgical calendar, and also even deliver it daily to your email inbox for you. Plese consider joining this prayer community. You can find us on: John-Paul – PrayMoreNovenas.com [email protected]
The Sower magazine for Catechists and Evangelists
A wonderful journal for catechists and evangelists produced locally at the Maryvale Institute. Why not give it a try for the upcoming Year of Faith.
For nearly a century The Sower has been of help and assistance to catechists and those involved in Catholic education. The Sower offers creative ideas and methods to give you confidence in accessing and passing on the riches of the Faith in all its holiness, beauty and integrity.
The Sower aims to be a vital resource of inspiration, encouragement and information for all who seek to grow, and to help others to grow, in their understanding of the Word of God.
The contributors are experienced catechists, evangelists, religious educators and teachers, associated with the Maryvale Higher Institute of Religious Sciences. They are committed to helping you hand on the riches of scripture and tradition whatever your catechetical or teaching situation:
• As a parent, the primary teacher of the Faith in the home.
• As a priest, deacon or catechist, passing on the Faith in the parish.
• As a teacher, working in Catholic primary and secondary schools.
‘I was amazed when I finally read a copy of the Sower! It was so practical and useful to me as a parish catechist. Easy to read and understand – I now recommend it to all my friends. I just wish I’d come across it years ago!’
Mrs J from Birmingham
‘I have found The Sower outstanding for my adult studies. The staff at Maryvale are always helpful in tracking down past issues for me. What I love is that it is perfect for research but also has articles and help for all catechists and teachers at any level. This is a highly accessible journal and I’d thoroughly recommend it to everyone’
Mrs K from London
The Sower contains:
• The Faith presented and explained in the light of the authentic teaching of the Church.
• Practical help for those teaching scripture, the sacraments, liturgy, morality, doctrine and prayer.
• Worksheets and photocopiable material.
• Reflective, inspiring articles on Catholic teaching.
• High quality artwork with explanations on how to use the art in your catechesis.
• Regular practical articles on evangelisation and catechesis within a parish setting, in youth ministry and in RCIA
• Help in planning sessions and programmes.
• Assistance for you in your own formation as a teacher of the Faith
• Relevant up-to-date research and scholarship giving best practice for teachers, priests and catechists.
For subscribers in Europe, Africa, Asia and Australasia:
The Sower, Maryvale Institute, Old Oscott Hill, Birmingham, B44 9AG, United Kingdom.
or phone: +44 (0)121-360-8118 and ask for The Sower subscription department.
UK: £20.00; Euro zone: €32.00;
Others: £28.00 (Please make cheques payable to Maryvale Institute).
(Bulk and two or three year subscription rates are available, contact above for information)
Back issues: Please contact the Institute for details (0121 360 8118).